K W L
This technique helps students to activate prior knowledge and link to new information to make connections with what is already known.
- Title 3 columns: What I Know; What I Want to know and What I Learned.
- Ask students to fill out the first two columns individually, if there is any over lap then this can be the base for discussion.
- Towards the end of the session, have students go back to the K column to see if any info needs to be corrected, then see if there are any questions left unanswered and then complete the L column.
- K.W.L. can also be used over a longer term to track development across sessions. Can be used to help focus the session on particular concepts that students are having difficulties with.
- Ogle, D. M. (1986). K-W-L: A teaching model that develops active reading of expository text. Reading Teacher, 39(6), 564-570. https://www.jstor.org/stable/20199156